1. Serve as an auxiliary force to the police and assist in maintaining internal security.
2. Assist the community in any kind of emergency – fire, flood , epidemic and so on.
3. Organise functional units to provide essential services such as motor transport, pioneer and engineer groups, fire brigades, nursing and first aid, operation of water and power supply in installations etc.
4. Promote communal harmony and give assistance to the administration in protecting weaker sections of the society.
5. Participate in socio-economic and welfare activities such as adult education, health and hygiene, development schemes and such other tasks as are deemed useful.